Phins up to seventh with win over Glendale

Torphins travelled to Woodside to face Glendale Youth, knowing three points would take them above their rivals into seventh position.

The Phins started off brightest and were dominating, winning a string of corners, where Travers fired one well over with his head.

On 10 minutes the Phins took a deserved lead. D Cruickshank broke with the ball and played it through to BROWN. The attacker used his pace to race down on goal and beat the keeper one on one.

Shortly after it was 2–0. A cross from Michie found Travers. A mishit shot was controlled by Brown who rolled the ball back to D CRUICKSHANK who rattled the ball off the inside of the post and into the net, with a ferocious right foot drive.

A goalmouth scramble two minutes later looked to have led to the third goal but Brown’s shot from 5 yards was cleared off the line. However, Torphins suddenly took their foot of the pace and let Glendale creep back into the game.

Cooper was called into action on the half hour mark when he palmed a ball by the post. Shortly after the Phins keeper pulled off another great stop. The left winger came striding down the wing before he cut inside defender Kellas unleashing a powerful drive. Cooper did brilliantly to get low down to his left and get a strong hand behind the ball to push it away but the ball fell to an attacker who had time to place the ball beyond the helpless Cooper.

The goal failed to waken up the Phins players and before they knew it, it was all level. Glendale were first to every loose ball and were hungry to get back in the game. A ball played forward should have been dealt with easily but an alert attacker snatched the ball off Allan’s feet and curled one round Cooper low into the bottom corner.

Things went from bad to worse as the Phins went into half time 3–2 down. A shot ricocheted off Michie’s arm and the referee had no hesitation to point to the spot. The spot kick taker fired the ball home to put Glendale ahead at half time.

Brown should have levelled the game when put through on goal but mishit a shot well wide of the goal. Torphins continued to attack and on 50 minutes it was again all level. Allan cleared a ball deep inside his own box, and ALLARDYCE raced down onto the ball before dinking the ball over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Ten minutes later the attacker got his name on the score sheet for the second time. D Cruickshank put the attacker down the left hand side and running onto the ball, he took one touch and fired the ball into the box. However from a tight angle, the ball moved viciously in the air and found itself looping over the Glendale keeper, and in off the far post.

Michie was substituted for Gilbert and the effect was immediate and Gilbert created a two goal cushion with his first touch of the ball. Allardyce now playing on the left wing was causing all sorts of problems for the full back and on 70 minutes a dangerous cross from Allardyce found GILBERT, who volleyed the ball past the goalkeeper.

On 85 minutes Torphins should have made it six. Brown played a neat one-two with Gilbert but the attacker’s shot was hit straight at the Glendale Keeper who spilled the ball. Brown reacted and squared it across to Gilbert who also failed to beat the keeper from 7 yards.