Poor finishing costs Phins

Torphins travelled to Balmedie to face second placed Trophies International in this Division 2 East match.

The first chance fell to Torphins inside the first ten minutes when Wright hit a left foot volley 20 yards out that was pushed on to the post by the diving keeper.

Trophies attacked on the 20 minute mark. Taylor made a great sliding challenge, taking the ball off the Trophies attacker and Cooper picked up the ball as it came towards him.

The referee judged it to be a pass back to the dismay of the Torphins player and the resulting set piece was curled round the wall and into the top corner.

Allardyce nearly had Torphins level. The ball was launched forward from the back and the striker turned smartly and tried his luck from 30 yards with the ball shaving the outside of the post.

Torphins had to defend well, but were caught sleeping on 40 minutes when Trophies doubled their lead. The skilful left winger bombed down the left and cut into the box. A mis-hit shot a team mate who tapped the ball into the empty net. The Torphins players complained that the goal scorer was offside but again the goal stood.

The first ten minutes passed uneventful, but Michie picked up a yellow card for a late challenge. However five minutes later Michie was brought down in retaliation by a shocking challenge that resulted in the Trophies player being shown a straight red card. The game suddenly turned on its head and Torphins began dominating the game.

Torphins were not clinical enough in front of goal. Allardyce controlled a corner well, but blasted a shot over the bar. The striker found himself one-on-one on 70 minutes but again snatched at the opportunity and put the ball wide.

Johnstone was striding forward on every occasion and nearly put Thomson through on goal, but the striker failed to control the ball. Mathieson broke down the right and delivered a good ball to Allardyce but the attacker again screwed his header wide.

On 80 minutes Torphins received another free kick just outside the box. Centre half Geddes set the ball down and curled over the wall to pull a goal back.

On the stroke of full time a corner was cleared, only as far as Geddes who rifled a long shot that went sailing over the bar.