Presslie’s late goal sees off rivals Kincorth

Echt welcomed old rivals Kincorth for their last home league fixture of the season.

Monday, 14th May 2012, 11:38 am

The visitors applied the early pressure with Echt defending a number of corner kicks. A fine defensive header from under his own crossbar by skipper Douglas on one and a punched clearance from keeper Bennett on another kept the score at 0-0.

In 13 minutes Lawrence played a wonderful ball down the left touchline to find Kane who swivelled inside his marker and fired an angular drive just too high.

In Echt’s next attack, a Wood pass picked out the free running Kane and his low cross found Presslie close in, but before the veteran striker could get a shot away a Kincorth defender stepped in and the chance was gone.

Echt were now in full flow after their sluggish start and from Presslie’s lay off Kane hammered a thunderous 30 yard effort just over, with Kincorth keeper Willox a mere spectator.

Kincorth had their dangerous moments as well and Bennett was forced to clutch a Smith near post header under his crossbar with 27 minutes on the clock.

Lawrence then tried his luck with a central long range effort that had Willox scrambling across his goal, but the ball drifted just wide.

A Birse free kick was then cleared from the Kincorth box straight into the path of Lawrence who spectacularly volleyed a 30 yard effort where the startled Willox reacted sufficiently to touch over the top in 42 minutes.

Kincorth’s response came in the shape of left side dangerman Hutchins who worked his way infield on the edge of the Echt box but was forced to lay of to Sulkevicius, who really should of hit target, but blazed wide much to Echt’s relief.

Hutchins rattled the Echt crossbar on the stoke of halftime as the visitors finished the half strongly.

The early stages of the second half were evenly contested with play flowing end to end but without any clear cut chances on offer.

Birse raced down the right on a Douglas pass and a Presslie 15 yd header on the delivery, was safely gathered by keeper Willox.

Following a Lawrence free kick in 64 minutes Echt withdrew Birse and brought MacLeod into the action.

The home side deservedly took the lead six minutes later. Presslie threaded a through ball beyond the Kincorth backline, for Kane to gather and clinically roll past the advancing Willox with the visitors appealing in vain for offsides.

Just two minutes later Kincorth’s Hutchins fired across the Echt goal and wide.

In 74 minutes Bennett pushed a Sulkevicius drive round his right hand post but a minute later, Kincorth, as they had threatened to do ever since Echt hit the front, drew level, when Hutchins was afforded too much time and space to get a shot away that Bennett appeared to have covered until it took a wicked deflection off Cooper and flew in.

With 11 minutes left Echt swapped Kane for McDonald and the substitute thought he had restored Echt’s lead, when close in, he netted after Willox spilled a Presslie effort, but was ruled offside by the referee.

Hutchins was then denied by another impressive save from the on-form Bennett.

Presslie headed a Wood cross over and a Lawrence 25 yd strike flashed wide as Echt looked to grab the spoils with a late attacking flurry and with seconds remaining the referee pointed to the spot when MacDonald went down following a challenge just inside the Kincorth box.

Unfazed by the Kincorth protests at the decision, Presslie picked his spot inside Willox’s right hand post to secure the points.

Echt: P Bennett, Cooper, Graham, Douglas, Lawrence, Kirton, Birse, McGillivray, Presslie, Kane, Wood.

Subs: MacLeod, McDonald, D Milne, L.Milne and A. Davidson.