Saints bow out of cup

Banchory are out of the GA Inter Regional Cup after conceding four goals against Banff side Deveronside for the second time this season at Canal Park.

Manager Sandy Carrol didn’t have his problems to seek with several players missing. Top goal scorer Jindrich Biskup was out with a hamstring injury, midfielder Dean Leith unavailable and centre Half Murray Buchan still on holiday.

However it was Banchory who got the first opportunity in the first minute but Ben McGregor shot weakly at the home keeper, and then a minute later Danny Ross, playing at centre forward in place of the injured Biskup shot past the post.

The early part of the game saw all the action with Chris Irvine, back in goals replacing Justin Knowles, making a good save from the home centre forward.

At the other end Jack Henderson was put through by Craig Simpson, but the Ballater forward’s lob went just past the post.

Only 10 minutes gone and Irvine had to look smart to save with his legs as Deveronside moved forward taking most of the possession pinning Saints back in their own half, but not creating too many chances. The referee also did not help Banchory’s cause by blowing for fouls every time a home player went down.

And on 24 minutes the referee over ruled his linesman who had flagged for offside to award Deveronside the opening goal. From a free kick the big centre forward rose to head the ball but the ball came off Saints’ right back Steve Gray and into the net.

The linesman insisted the home player was offside but the referee’s take was that as it was an own goal he could not be offside. Gray who was injured in the incident was replaced by Murray Adam.

Banchory hit straight back with Josh Robertson getting in a cross for Danny Ross’s looping header being brilliantly tipped away for a corner.

At the other end Craig Graham headed off his goal line and then No 9 volleyed over from a free kick. Two minutes from half time Deveronside should have gone 2-0 up but the No 10 shot past an open goal.

The second half was a bit of a non-event apart from the first 7 minutes when Deveronside scored twice.

A free kick in the middle of the park was sent down the middle into the penalty area and with the Saints defence seemingly rooted, the ball landed at a home player who poked the ball into the net.

Two minutes later a cross and a scramble in the 6 yard box resulted in number three for the home side. Darren Reid who was injured just prior to the second goal, had to be replaced by Andrew Smith.

Jack Presly was next to come on for Banchory replacing McGregor and the midfielder started to make things happen giving more impetus and movement.

Although 3-0 down the Banchory players did not give up, but with 10 minutes remaining it was 4-0. Irvine raced from his goal to try and intercept a long through ball but had no chance of reaching the ball before the No 9 who slipped the ball past the advancing keeper and stroked the ball into the net from 15 yards.

Saints: Chris Irvine, Steve Gray (Murray Adam), Josh Robertson, Darren Reid (Andy Smith), Craig Graham, Darren Pyper, Andy Close, Craig Simpson, Danny Ross, Jack Henderson, Ben McGregor (Jack Presly). Subs: Steve Thompson, Justin Knowles.

This Saturday (November 3), it’s back to league business as Saints make the trip to Polo Park to take on FC Stoneywood. Kick off is 2pm.