Saints steal the points

editorial image

Dyce lying second in the PMAC Superleague were the visitors to Milton Park on Saturday and left wondering what went wrong for them after looking comfortable 1-0 winners with 17 minutes remaining.

In the very first minute Banchory were awarded a free kick 30 yards out and Shaun Carrol’s effort hit the top of the Dyce wall spun into the air and was caught by the Dyce keeper under pressure.

The game had started at a quick pace and from a sharp break on 10 minutes Dyce took the lead. A suspiciously offside move down the right resulted in a cross into the six yard box, and although half cleared, Dyce’s Neish was allowed to turn, with his low left foot shot sneaking in at the far post.

Controversy on 20 minutes when Scott Garrett beat his marker to the ball only to be bundled to the ground, but despite claims all round the ground, the referee waved play on.

Dyce almost increased their lead shortly after when Saints keeper Chris Irvine dived full length to get his fingers to the ball to touch round the post and from the corner he made a good save at the back post.

Right on half time Irvine had to be smart to kick clear from a Dyce through ball.

The second half was slow to get going compared to the first half.

Saints Cammy Gray made the first chance for himself when his pace made an opening but from a good central position he shot past.

Banchory manager Sandy Carrol made changes with Connor Scully replacing Garrett with 20 minutes remaining.

Gray was back defending for Saints and when he chested the ball down inside his own box there were loud appeals from Dyce for a penalty but the referee rightly waved play on. Irvine made two vital saves to keep Dyce out when he cleared Neish’s header with his knees and then saved the rebound with his chest.

Dyce were forced to make another change and this was when the game changed.

With 17 minutes remaining the scores were level. Gray’s tenacity won the ball out on the right and the midfielder found Richard Stainer who slipped the ball to Campbell Watt who bided his time and rifled and unstoppable shot into the roof of the Dyce net.

Dyce almost got their lead back when Irvine had to make a crucial save. But there was now a better fighting Banchory attitude now that they had scored. This was typified by the second goal after 79 minutes when Gray once again won the ball on the right slipped the ball into Darren Pyper who picked his spot from 12 yards.

Dyce tried to respond but could only manage a couple of crosses as pressure, before Saints made it 3-1 on 82 minutes. The visiting keeper attempted to pass out to his full back but Scully intercepted, passed inside to Stainer and despite a last gasp tackle the centre forward kept his cool and scored into an empty net.

The win moves Banchory up to 6th spot in the league, and they take on Hall Russell United this weekend at Milton Park, kick off 1.30pm.

Speaking after the match, Saints manager Sandy Carrol was delighted with the performance.

He said: “It was a good result for the lads and thoroughly deserved. Our second half performance was exceptional and we are looking forward to entertaining Hall Russell this Saturday.”

Team: Irvine, Pyper, Robertson, Morrison, Galashan, Carrol, Gray, McRae, Stainer (Shirran), Garrett (Scully), Watt. Subs: Donald, Burke, Skene, Sim