Sam wins Mini Max race

editorial image
Share this article

Durris driver Sam McKenzie won the Mini Max race during the third round of Grampian Kart Club Championships and the fourth round of the National Kart Racing Association (Scottish Region).

A coming together at the first corner saw the immediate elimination of Elliot McIntosh. This resulted in the race becoming spread out and uneventful. Sam McKenzie won by a factor of four seconds from Jack Gordon. James Wood finished third ahead of Jack Simpson who had worked his way back from last after being involved in the opening lap incident. Chloe Scott finished ahead of Shaun Davidson.

Round-up of the day’s other races:

Honda Cadets

Gordon Mutch, who had won all three heats, took the lead from the green lights and was never headed the to chequered flag by a clear six seconds. Second was hotly contested between Craig Mann, Cameron Evans, Robbie Souter and Cameron Thompson. Mann And Evans swapped placed on several occasions. Mann got a touch at the loop on the final time round and dropped down the field. Evans went to take second followed by Souter, Thompson and Mann. Aidan Welch finished sixth.

Junior Blue

Mark Ross immediately opened a gap and won by three seconds. Keenly contested was second between Matthew Gilliland and Tommy Leckie. As they approached pit corner for the final time Gilliland took a defensive line while Leckie swept wide and cut back inside Gilliland to take second position.

Senior Max

The largest grid of the day saw Ryan Tod sprint away from youngsters David McNicol and Frazer Huntley. With the fastest lap being set by McNicol at 37.286 seconds it was Tod who took the victory. McNicol took second from Huntley in third. Cheesewright took fourth position, Ross took fifth place and Darren Patrick held off David Eason for sixth.

Senior Blue

First corner mayhem resulted in Martyn Morris leading at the end of first lap. The chase consisted of Kenneth Cowie, Fergus Douglas, Douglas Simpson, Colin MacNiven and Steve Barlow. Fergus Barlow moved to second on lap two and took the lead at the halfway point. Morris was in hot pursuit but Barlow took the chequered flag. Douglas Simpson held third throughout the final.

ICC (Gearbox)

Cliff Harper got a clean start and took a lights to flag victory. Niall Kinghorn edged into second on lap 2 and during the latter phase of the final started to close on Harper but the laps ran out. Phillip Paterson claimed third ahead of Ian Duncan and Neil Anderson.

The next meeting at Grampian Kart Club will be on Sunday 8th July. For more information visit the GKC website –