The Saints go marching on!

The Saints macrhed on to the second round of the Domino Pizzas Regional Cup after an emphatic second half performance saw them blow away their Buchan Superleague counterparts Longside at Davidson Park.

In only the third minute Craig Simpson sent Jack Henderson clear with a lovely through ball only for the referee, minus linesmen yet again, to rule offside.

The home side upped their game and began to create some openings and half chances and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 18 minutes when from a cross Little rose unchallenged to head home from 8 yards.

On 28 minutes there was a shout for a Saints penalty after a Simpson shot was blocked but quite rightly nothing was given. A Biskup-Henderson move saw the latter cross for a home defender to knock the ball onto Josh Robertson’s head and then off the bar for a goal kick.

On 39 minutes the scores were level when Simpson’s run down the left ended with Henderson shooting low into the net. This was Jack’s first goal for Banchory.

However four minutes later Longside were back in front when Saints were exposed down the left and from a square ball Little side footed into the net from 8 yards.

Longside opened the second half strongly forcing a couple of corners, but Banchory got their act together and starting forcing the issue.

From a corner on the 54th minute the scores were again level when Robertson headed home from 6 yards under pressure from the home keeper. It was Josh’s first goal in 79 appearances.

Simpson’s runs down the left were causing problems for Longside and from the midfielder’s cross the ball was cleared off the line. But on 61 minutes the pressure paid off when Biskup’s strength saw him bust past two defenders to fire low past the advancing keeper to make it 3-2 to Saints.

It could have been four minutes later when Longside’s keeper cleared off the line again and then Biskup’s effort was blocked in the 6 yard box.

Biskup was causing all sorts of problems to the Longside defence and was tripped up just outside the box by No.4 who received his second yellow to reduce the home team to ten men. The resultant free kick was a shambles but the ball broke into the box again for Biskup to pick up and rifle home number four.

Saints were well on top and it was no surprise when the fifth goal arrived after a Adam/Biskup move set up Andrew Close who picked his spot from 15 yards. Biskup should have got his hat trick in the final minute, but he blasted past the post with just the keeper to beat.

The next two weeks are home games for Banchory with Hall Russell United travelling to Milton Park on Saturday 13th October for a PMAC Superleague game, kick off 2.00pm. The following week 20th October, Rosyth travel up from Fife for the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Round, kick off 2.30pm.