Travers is the hero for Torphins

Torphins 3

Auchnagatt 2

Torphins welcomed Third Division side Auchnagatt Barons in the second round of the Dickie Trophy.

With Bruce, Thomson and Brown out, Manager Pele had no out and out attacker to play up front, therefore young Smith was given his first start for Torphins to partner D Cruickshank up front. Travers and Ewen also returned to the starting line-up and Cooper replaced the missing Geddes in goals.

Torphins and Auchnagatt have faced each other in the last three years and the fixture has always been a thrilling one.

The first twenty five minutes went past with near no excitement as both teams struggled to break down the other’s defence, with the ball just being punted back and forth.

The first real chance fell to Torphins. A ball over the top from Michie was run onto by D Cruickshank who found himself one-on-one with the alert Baron’s goalkeeper. The forward raced down on goal but failed to hit the target with his shot.

Travers was next to go close with a 25 yard long range effort, but the Baron’s keeper acrobatically dived to tip the ball over for a corner, which resulted in little danger.

With Auchnagatt having their fair share of the possession, it was only a matter of time before they attacked the Torphins goal and on their first attempt, they opened the scoring.

The pacey left winger came surging down the flank and played a neat one-two with his attacker. The winger found himself just inside the Torphins box and brilliantly curled the ball past Cooper and into the top corner.

Torphins were not looking too clinical in front of goal but after winning a string of corners they drew level just before half time.

D Cruickshank swung the ball in and top goalscorer TRAVERS found space to head past the Baron’s goalkeeper.

Straight from the restart, Torphins went agonisingly close to going in front. Another corner was launched in, Smith lost his marker in the box and made a run to the front post but his header was cleared off the line.

Torphins had more of the possession in the second half but still did not look at all dangerous in the last third, failing to test the Baron’s goalkeeper. Auchnagatt relied on the counter attack and were still attempting the long ball process.

On 60 minutes Gilbert replaced Smith and Ewen and Travers pushed on up front to partner D Cruickshank.

Still the home side could not find their way through and on 75 minutes were caught on the counter attack.

A long ball was pressed down by an attacker, who then delicately lobbed the stranded Cooper to fire the Baron’s back into the lead.

Sensing an upset, Auchnagatt filled their back line to make it even more difficult for the Phins to find a way through.

Allardyce was replaced by S Wright, to give some fresh legs and began using his pace to get down the flanks.

During the last ten minutes, Torphins piled on the pressure and were throwing everything at Auchnagatt.

A cross from D Cruickshank found Travers yards out, but the striker was denied by the quick reactions of the goalkeeper who got down low to his right, to palm the ball away.

However the relentless pressure eventually paid off and Torphins drew level on 85 minutes.

Torphins attacked through Michie who fed Travers. The striker found himself in the box and squared the ball to EWEN who looked in an offside position but he tapped the ball in to make it 2-2.

Deep into stoppage time and as it looked as though the game was going to head into extra time Torphins fired in a priceless winner.

Ewen turned his marker and played a pinpoint ball through to Travers who found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper. The striker coolly slotted the ball past the keeper and was surrounded by his team mates who were ecstatic to win the game so late.

TEAM: Cooper, Johnstone, Mathieson, Allan, Taylor, Allardyce, Michie, Travers, Ewen, Smith, D Cruickshank. Subs: Gilbert, Mitchell, Wright, Paterson.