Young Deeside’s rugby success

editorial image

Deeside RFC U13 & U14 (S1/S2) age groups put up a sterling display of junior rugby against Aberdeen Wanderers at Banchory’s Tillybrake pitch winning 27-4, and running in 8 tries to 1.

With a great turnout of Deesiders, all wanting to play a match after all the bad weather, the youngsters put on a good display showing great improvement in commitment, tackling and handling skills against an 18-man Wanderers squad. Playing full 15-a-side rugby, the first 20 minute session, refereed throughout by Adrian Ledingham, was a balanced affair, with strong scrummaging by both sides and each team running in an early try a-piece.

After a solid scrum just on the half way line, Deeside scrum half Josh Williams quickly fed Jack Christie and Ben Hessel to break through the Wanderers back line, and with a looping move with James Long, Ben ran in a good first score under the posts.

This was quickly followed by a strong Wanderers ruck, and strong running to score under the posts and draw level.

Deeside, however, grew in confidence and just before the break, duly scored two more tries with strong running by Andrew Teague & George Pearce which allowed James Long to put the Deesiders ahead.

A quick change to the majority of the back line for the 2nd 20 minute session led to some spirited rucking by both sides, and after a strong scrum with Roddy Lamont & Daniel Dunn at lock, Adam Thompson broke through two tackles to score in the corner.

More back line moves, including great running by James Long & Ben Hessel, supported by Liam Hutcheon & Harry Lenton added 2 more tries before the 2nd break.

The last session saw continued battles with strong tackling required by both sides, and spirited rucking and handling by Deeside to make steady progress towards the Wanderers’ line.

A determined charge & great positional play, culminated in a deserved try by  Daniel Graham from quick ball from the scrum. Jamie Hillier taking over the scrum half duties showed his quick thinking to weave past 2 tacklers from the back of a ruck, scoring just beside the posts.

With all the squad players having had a run out during the game, it was encouraging to see the more junior members get involved in all aspects of the game, and a final flurry of quick hands in the backs saw Joshua Williams swan dive over in the corner before the final whistle.

A good day out for all the S1 & S2’s and the many parents who came along to watch.